Friday, September 25, 2009

New Tomb Raider movie: Who will play Lara Croft?

Alrighty, now for those who know me personally will agree that I'm a Tomb Raider fan. I've been playing the Tomb Raider series since I was like 9 and to this day it's still my favorite video game franchise next to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I'm a geek I know, but I don't care! I love video games! :D

There have been two major motion pictures based off of the games starring Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. While I love both movies and Angelina did great playing the part to this day I think they could have been a tad better. I could go on and on about the nitpicky differences between the video game Lara Croft and the movie Lara Croft, but that would take one essay of a post heh, plus it's not that big of deal anyway and for those who've never played a Tomb Raider before I suppose it does give movie goers the overall idea of what the heck Tomb Raider is all about. The first film did well grossing $40 million its opening weekend but then the second one flopped so plans for a third were scrapped :( Since 2006 there have been reports that a third is in the works. Of course most were rumours until December of 2008 where apparently Warner Brothers had aquired the rights for a new Tomb Raider movie (the previous ones were done by Paramount). Since then movie news about this have been flying around about the screen writer, producer, what is about, whose playing etc. Producer Dan Lin had this to say about it; "It's a great origin story that we're going to tell. A very character-oriented story. I would say more realistic than the past Lara Croft movies...I would say it's like Terminator - character-driven action. I think for me the Lara Croft games and movies have gone a little too action-oriented. I wanted to have action, but with character." They are definitely trying to reinvigorate the franchise aswell as the video game Tomb Raider itself(Tomb Raider: Underworld just barely did well financially). What has me guessing though, is that the next game is going to be a prequel aswell, are they going to tie the new movie in with the game? Hmm very curious. Anyhow, since this is a prequel, I'm like 10000000% positive Angelina Jolie will NOT be Lara Croft. While that has me bummed because I thought she did so well in the first Tomb Raiders part of me says that its a good idea to try and market the Tomb Raider franchise again.

So who do I want to play Lara Croft now? *YAY* This takes me back to late 98' early 99' when news about the first Tomb Raider surfaced and I already had all sorts of ideas on who I wanted to play Lara Croft. Back then I wanted Catherine Zeta-Jones or Elizabeth Hurly to play her, Angelina got it and at the time I had NO idea who she was! In fact I was kind of mad about it because I saw a photo of her at the 2000 Academy Awards and she looked like freaking Morticia Adams kissing her brother! Of course when I saw the first trailer for Lara Croft Tomb Raider my thoughts about her instantly changed.

Here are the rumoured contenders for Lady Croft in the new Prequel. As of now my pick is going for Summer Glau.

Summer Glau - She's kind of an underated actress, I saw her in Serenity which she did a pretty good job in. She was also in the Terminator: The Sara Conner Chronicles tv show and from what I hear she was fantastic in that with all the kick-ass action scenes, plus she has the athletics needed to play Lara. To top it off, she kind of has the old school Lara Croft look to her...so even if the new movie has NOTHING to do with the original 5 amazing Tomb Raiders...at least Lara will actually look like Lara!


Kristin Kreuk - Canadian born actress of Dutch and Chinese Decent she is the second top contender next to Summer Glau shown in polls. Supposedly these two are "battling" for the role though I'm sure thats a rumour. Hmm, this one interests me. Lara Croft is an English woman, but I actually would not mind seeing Kristin take on the role. I did afterall, use think Lara Croft was Asian back when I first played the game. The only problem is that she was in that Chun Li movie and I heared that movie sucked major. Wheather it was her acting, story or what I don't know and I'm too lazy to go look it up, either or if she gets the role I hope she can pull it off.


Mila Kunis - I know what you're thinking...Meg from Family Guy and Jackie from that 70's show...she does totally look the part. I haven't seen her in any major movies other then her small young role in Gia (Hah, whata coinkidink she played a young Gia in Gia while adult Gia was played Angelina Jolie and here she might be a younger Lara Croft) While she is freakin' beautiful though I'm not sure how her voice would sound with an English Accent...If she was Lara and I saw her in it I probably wouldn't be able to get Meg out of my head and just wait for Peter Griffen to interrupt somewhere.


Sienna Millar - Let me start by saying the picture presented here is from GI Joe and its a total Lara Croft RIP OFF! Look at those gun holsters! And the Outfit!? It just just screams LARA CROFT! I remember seeing GI Joe in theater and I was just like...wow...she looks like Lara what a Tomb Raider rip off! Anyway, she did pretty good in GI Joe even though the movie kinda sucked...she's an OK actress, but I'm not too sure if she would make a good Lara...even though her look is ace...OBVIOUSLY


Rhona Mitra - The HILARIOUS thing about this rumour is that...she was actually a Lara Croft Model to promote the Tomb Raider games back in 1997-1998. I had NO CLUE was an actress (she was in Doomsday and Underworld 3) I don't know about this one, she's a only a year younger then Angelina and the point of not having Angelina is because they want a younger actress because this is an origin story...so what the hell? Might aswell bring Angelina back...she is an amazing actress afterall.


Megan Fox - Oh GOD ALMIGHTY NO!!! This rumour has already been bunked but I feel I have to talk about anyway. Supposedly shes the "next Angelina Jolie" whatever the hell that means, but...just no! Actually, this was the biggest Lara Croft rumour on the net, reports of Fox playing Lara were everywhere and I was just kicking and screaming. Sure she's hot, sure she looks like a younger Angelina, but homegirl can't act in my opinion. She needs to stay with Transformers and the crappy horror movies like Jennifer's Body. Lara Croft needs a good actress to fill her big boots(or bra size whatever).
P.S WE ALL KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE...so no need for me to post a pic heh.

I'm sure NONE of the above actresses will make the cut, they'll probably surprise me and pick some weirdo the same way they did with the first Tomb Raider. For now I really want Summer Glau to play Lara, though I'm still open to other contenders. Either way, I'm just excited there will be a new Tomb Raider movie (Megan Fox not included)
-Jeremy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment